The HIPAA Safe Labor Act
- The selected policy is the HIPAA Safe Harbor Act (HR 7898).
- This act was enacted by President Trump on January 5, 2021, following the amendment of the HITECH Act.
- The Impact of the HIPAA Safe Labor Act on System Implementation
- The HIPAA Safe Harbor Act influences system implementation positively.
- The Act will encourage the adoption of cyber-security practices in healthcare organizations to enhance defenses against cyber-attacks (Motti & Berkovsky, 2022).
- Thus, this Act will protect patients’ health-related information documented in the EHRs from being accessed by unauthorized parties during cyber-attacks, promoting data privacy, security, and confidentiality (Lee et al., 2022).
- Additionally, preventing cyber-attacks improves a healthcare organization’s reputation, increasing the number of individuals seeking healthcare services from the facility, and raising its overall revenue and productivity (Mahajan et al., 2022).
Organizational Policies and Procedures
- The healthcare organization will introduce policies and procedures to address the improvement in outcomes and efficiencies associated with the implementation of the HIPAA Safe Harbor Act.
- The organization will introduce the procedure to guide healthcare providers in documenting and handling patients’ health-related information to reduce cyber-attack risk (Kruse et al., 2017).
- On the other hand, the organization will implement policy to support the physical protection of patient health-related information documented in an EHR system, protecting it from potential cyber attackers.
Kruse, C. S., Smith, B., Vanderlinden, H., & Nealand, A. (2017). Security techniques for electronic health records. Journal of medical systems, 41(8), 1-9.
Lee, J. S., Chew, C. J., Liu, J. Y., Chen, Y. C., & Tsai, K. Y. (2022). Medical blockchain: Data sharing and privacy-preserving of EHR based on smart contract. Journal of Information Security and Applications, 65, 103117.
Mahajan, U. V., Wafapoor, V., Mahajan, O. A., & Anderson, W. S. (2022). Use of Patients’ Protected Health Information to Solicit Hospital Funds: How did This Practice Come About? Journal of Patient Experience, 9, 23743735221106604.
Motti, V. G., & Berkovsky, S. (2022). Healthcare Privacy. In Modern Socio-Technical Perspectives on Privacy (pp. 203-231). Springer, Cham.
Review the Resources on healthcare policy and regulatory/legislative topics related to health and nursing informatics.
Consider the role of the nurse informaticist in relation to a healthcare organization’s compliance with various policies and regulations, such as the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA).
Research and select one health or nursing informatics policy (within the past 5 years) or regulation for further study.
The Assignment: (1 page not including the title and reference page)
Create a 1-page fact sheet that your healthcare organization could hypothetically use to explain the health or nursing informatics policy/regulation you selected. Your fact sheet should address the following:
Briefly and generally explain the policy or regulation you selected.
Address the impact of the policy or regulation you selected on system implementation.
Address the impact of the policy or regulation you selected on clinical care, patient/provider interactions, and workflow.
Highlight organizational policies and procedures that are/will be in place at your healthcare organization to address the policy or regulation you selected. Be specific.
Use APA format and include a title page, in-text citations, and reference page.